Are there safe supplements warriors can use to enhance their workouts for bodybuilding and performance?
It isn’t easy to determine whether a dietary supplement product is safe or not. Many ingredients have little or no reliable research on their safety, and most studies address only on short-term use. And there is essentially no information on the combinationsof ingredients found in dietary supplements. However, HPRC offers some resources that can help:
- OPSS Red Flags infosheet
- HPRC’s Dietary Supplement Education for Warfighters (also available in PowerPoint format)
- OPSS FAQ on supplement ratings for information on where to get ratings of the safety and effectiveness of products and ingredients
- NSF Certified for Sport, where you can search a list of products that have been “certified” for use by competitive athletes. You can also download an app to access the list.
- OPSS FAQ about third-party certification for more information on independent testing of supplement
- The OPSS High-Risk Supplement List is available for information about certain dietary supplements that may pose a health or sport anti-doping risk.
FAQ updated 5 March 2015