Filed under: Safety
Try these tips from the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disease to prevent knee injury while you exercise:
- Avoid bending your knees past 90 degree when doing half knee bends or squats.
- Avoid twisting your knees by keeping your feet as flat as possible during stretching.
- When jumping, land with your knees bent.
Source: Handout on Health. Sports Injuries. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disease.
Since injuries can occur in physically active individuals, here are a few tips to help you stay injury free:
- Warm-up and cool-down after exercise;
- Use proper form;
- Spread activity throughout the week, not just the weekend;
- Wear appropriate safety gear;
- Increase intensity and time gradually, and
- Cross train to prevent overuse injuries.
Click here for more information: Handout on Health. Sports Injuries. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disease.
The October 20 edition of the Vancouver Sun has a brief article on preventing sports injuries.
Click on link below to access the article.
The Off Duty section of the Air Force Times recently published an article that looks at the popularity high-intensity fitness programs and concerns about their safety.
In the military, teamwork is vital to operational success. Frequently, multiple service branches work together as teams during combat operations. Practicing teamwork skills and building strong teams, that are adaptive and flexible, are essential for mission success, safety and efficiency of troops, and reduction of operational stress. Click here to read more on the various team building techniques used by the U.S. Army to prevent operational stress.
In a report from the September 2010 issue of Consumer Reports®, the twelve most dangerous dietary supplements posing health risks have been identified. According to the report, these are dietary supplements which are taken by millions of Americans and have been found to cause serious health problems, including cardiovascular, liver, and kidney problems.