2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has created science-based guidance for physical activity for most Americans. There is also a two-page summary [PDF] of these guidelines. In brief, they recommend the following:
- Regular physical activity reduces the risk of poor health.
- Benefits increase as the intensity, frequency, and duration of physical activity increase.
- Any physical activity is better than none.
- Both aerobic (endurance) and muscle-strengthening (resistance) activities are important.
- Every age, race, and gender benefit through physical activity.
The benefits of physical activity outweigh the possible negatives.