For Commanders and Healthcare Providers
These factsheets, reports, and toolkits on various topics of mental health and suicide prevention are geared towards leaders and healthcare providers.
- Depression: What Unit Leaders Need to Know [PDF]
- The Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health created this factsheet to help unit leaders understand depression and how to help.
- PTSD: What Unit Leaders Need to Know [PDF]
- The Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury created this handout on post-traumatic stress disorder and what unit leaders need to know.
- Anger Management for Substance Abuse & Mental Health Clients [PDF]
- This workbook from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is designed primarily for healthcare providers to use with group treatment. It includes materials on events and cues, anger control plans, assertiveness and conflict resolution, family relationships, and more.
- Overview of DCoE and DoD Suicide Prevention Efforts [PDF]
- The Defense Centers of Excellence compiled an overview of current DCoE and DoD suicide prevention efforts, targeted primarily for use by leaders and healthcare providers.
- Suicide Prevention and Risk Reduction Committee (SPARRC) [PDF]
- The Department of Defense and Veterans Affairs partnered to coordinate their suicide prevention and risk reduction efforts. This document, of interest primarily to leaders and healthcare providers, describes the many SPARRC initiatives.
- Military SAFE-T [PDF]
- The SAFE-T (Suicide Assessment Five-step Evaluation and Triage) model describes how to 1) identify risk factors, 2) identify protective factors, 3) conduct suicide inquiry, 4) determine risk level/intervention, and 5) document.
- Suicide Prevention: Commander’s Toolkit
- This toolkit was developed so that leaders can incorporate these resources into existing training or create new training. However, this toolkit is not meant for leaders only—all Warfighters are encouraged to use the materials.
- Barrack Posters for Suicide Prevention [PDF]
- Posters from the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy on suicide prevention.